Ko-fi Memberships lets fans support you monthly at different price points (tiers). Each Membership tier can offer supporters unique benefits like Discord roles, exclusive content or physical rewards.
Navigate to Memberships from the menu and set Membership Mode to “Membership tiers”.
Note: The “Simple monthly donations” option will let supporters make a recurring monthly donation directly from the donation panel without joining a membership tier.
Adding a Tier
- Click Add Tier and choose a Name and a Price per Month. Your price is the minimum price, but Members can choose to pay more if they want to.
Note: New members are billed (and you get paid) immediately when they join the Tier and each calendar month thereafter on the same date they first paid you. It's not currently possible to offer free Tiers or multiple Tiers at the same price.
- Add Benefits to the Membership tier to reward supporters for becoming a member. You can create your own, or choose from the list of ideas.
- Add a Description and tier Image. Use the Description to introduce your tier and mention anything you want members to know about how they access benefits.
- Set a Welcome Message that new members will see immediately when their first payment has completed. We will email this to them too.
Note: You can use it to just say thanks or you could even use it to deliver your rewards by including links or codes.
- Request Supporter’s Address if you plan on offering physical rewards like merch.
- You can Limit the number of people who can join if benefits include one-to-one access or other limited-availability rewards like physical items.
- Enable the Tier so it shows on your page.
Tip: You can preview how an individual tier looks by clicking this icon or just go to your page and choose the Memberships tab.
How to Accept Payment
To use Ko-fi Memberships you need to be connected to a payment provider. You can connect directly from Ko-fi Membership settings or Settings > Payment.
Note: You can use Stripe or PayPal as your payment provider, PayPal Business is not a requirement to use Membership tiers.
How to Default the Donation Panel to Memberships
When a supporter visits your page, the Membership option in the payment panel will already be selected and your Tiers will be right there ready to join.
Default to the Membership option through from your Payment tab.
Frequently Asked Questions
Memberships is available to both Gold and Free creators
- 5% platform fee for free members.
- 0% platform fee for Ko-fi Gold members.
Standard transaction fees from PayPal and Stripe also apply.
When someone becomes a member, they pay you directly so you get the money instantly in your PayPal or Stripe account the moment they sign up. No minimum balances, no waiting for payout days. Memberships renew monthly on (or very close to) the day of the month the member first paid you.
We’ve noticed some of these popular categories:
- Exclusive content - like unreleased or back-catalogue content.
- Early Access - to YouTube videos, podcast episodes, chapters or photoshoots.
- Behind the Scenes - access to videos, pics, tutorials or even sketchbook access.
- Access and Input - exclusive AMA’s, 1-2-1 lessons, polls or discord roles.
- Member recognition - like social shoutouts, name in credits or fan signs.
Just make sure your rewards are your own work and don't breach Ko-fi's content policy.
Yes absolutely, add Discord Access as a Membership benefit then once your tiers are set up head over to the Discord settings screen, connect your Discord Server and you will be able to select roles for each of your tiers.
Depending upon the tax rules of your territory you may need to charge VAT or GST in certain locations or for offering specific rewards. You can manage the locations and rates in the Sales Tax menu. We advise consulting a tax specialist to determine if/where taxes should be collected and remitted.
If you have existing subscribers who are donating monthly, they will continue to be charged until you or they cancel their subscription. They will also still be able to get access to any content you previously published with an Audience of "All Monthly Supporters".
Monthly supporters will not automatically become a member of a tier even if you create a tier for the same price. You can upgrade monthly subscribers to your Membership Tiers following the steps in this article.